Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Not just for journalists

Here's a literary event that will take place in Cambridge, for my BU students, on the first day of school. I have not read this book but the Pulitzer committee liked it. Also, it takes place in my homeland -- Jersey-- and I'm intrigued by the Dominican Tolkien angle.

I've also posted links to this and my other favorite city bookstores. I prefer independent stores to chains, so I try to support them by schleping to Harvard Square instead of Borders, which is two blocks from my house.

Sept. 3 in Harvard Square (Green Line to Park Street, Red Line to
Harvard.)

JUNOT DIAZ
reads from
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar
Wao

$15 tickets go on sale Wed., August 13th.
(Tickets redeemable for one copy of the new paperback.)

Harvard Book Store is thrilled to welcome back Pulitzer Prize–winning
author and MIT professor JUNOT DIAZ, in conjunction with the paperback release
of his superb, riotous novel The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao.

Things have never been easy for Oscar, a sweet but disastrously
overweight, lovesick Dominican ghetto nerd. From his home in New Jersey, where
he lives with his old-world mother and rebellious sister, Oscar dreams of
becoming the Dominican J. R. R. Tolkien and, most of all, of finding love. But
he may never get what he wants, thanks to the Fukœ-the curse that has haunted
the Oscar's family for generations, dooming them to prison, torture, tragic
accidents, and, above all, ill-starred love. Oscar, still waiting for his first
kiss, is just its most recent victim.

Harvard Book Store (http://www.harvard.com/) My favorite, Harvard Square. Not affiliated with the university. HU's book store is the Coop.

Brookline Booksmith (http://brookline.booksense.com/NASApp/store/IndexJsp)Another good one, Coolidge Corner stop on BC Greenline.

Powell's Books (http://www.powells.com/) Where I go to mail order.

No comments: