Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Colledge student's that cant right

In my spring evals, one of my students reported that he or she "learnt" a lot.  Except how to spell, I guess.

So, I second Kara Miller's comments in the Globe today.


When you teach English to college students, you quickly realize two things.

 First, many seem to have received little writing instruction in high school. I initially noticed this as an undergraduate English major at Yale, where I helped peers revise their papers. I saw it again in graduate school at Tufts, where I taught freshman writing classes. And it has also struck me at Babson, where, for the past two years, I have instructed first-year students.
 The second thing English teachers realize is that correcting students’ papers is tremendously time consuming. I constantly do battle with myself to spend less than 20 minutes on a paper. At meetings, instructors are often urged not to exceed 15 minutes, but I frequently end up spending double that. This can be a genuinely frustrating experience: 50 papers stacked on the coffee table, 10 in the finished pile, and an entire afternoon gone.



No comments: