Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cartoonists in Cambridge

Two admissions: I’ve never been able to get excited about graphic novels. And I thought Sage Stossel was a man.

But I know about androgynous first names and I am loyal reader of newspaper comics. I enjoy Stossel’s work in both the Sunday Globe and in a lovely little collection of stories about libraries called Cambridge Voices (pdf).

Stossel contributes portraits of each Cambridge branch for this collection of stories about libraries. I couldn’t function without my O’Connell Branch and what can I say about the new branch. Make fun of Cambridge all you want – hear that Harry Fig – but we do love our books. Now they have a sleek new home.


Weds. April 21

SAGE STOSSEL

and

HILARY PRICE

discuss

"Framing the Story: Cartooning and Graphic Novels"

Cambridge Forum is pleased to present local cartoonists SAGE STOSSEL and HILARY PRICE as they explore creativity under the pressure of daily deadlines and rigid formal requirements. What impact do external structural demands have on the creative artist? The work of art? Using the parameters of the daily cartoon strip and the graphic novel as models, they ask how do formal rules change and develop as an art form grows, attracting new audiences and taking on new roles in the world of art.

No comments: