Wednesday, March 24, 2010

WBUR: Read from the newspaper, then trash it

I say this at my own peril since I'm just embarking on a career as radio reporter.

But why does WBUR have to trash newspapers to raise money? Two minutes after I hear Bob Oakes practically reading the Globe front page -- as he does each morning -- I hear some donor saying he gives to the radio station because newspapers are "irrelevant." It seems to be a theme through all of the fundraising, including appeals from Ira Glass and the staff reporters.

Come on guys. I love WBUR, but why kick newspapers when they are down? It is true that newsrooms are shrinking and radio helps fill some of the gaps. But, how many times a day do WBUR reporters go out to report on a story with a Globe or Herald clip in hand? 

No comments: