Thursday, March 12, 2009

A wine-soaked, typer-required, beer-sponsored Boston writing contest

I love Charles Bukowski even though he was a stumble-drunk horn dog – a description I’m sure the late poet would not take as an insult.

However, he was not a pretty man and I would rather read him than look at him. So, my discomfort at a bar taking his name was only heightened by the large mural of him inside the Cambridge outlet. I like the place anyway.

But, I know Chinaski would not go for product placement in his writing. So, I at first spurned the idea of entering Bukowski’s Harpoon Beer-sponsored writing contest.

But my son wrote a great poem and I wanted to enter it. So I went out and bought a typer. (I wanted one anyway and got a great one – early ’60s manual, one owner.)

Then, I realized that it was a short story contest and not a poetry contest so I had to write a story around the poem. I’m not a fiction writer so it was weak. It was angry and it didn’t win and I’m too embarrassed to post it here.

But, the tween has agreed to let me post the audio version of his poem.

So, that’s a long way of getting to the point. The bar is having another such contest this year. Here are the details if you can swallow the harpoon and want to enter.

It is time again for all you aspiring writers to put pen to paper and get those creative juices flowing for Bukowski Tavern's annual "Pint and Pen" Writing contest. We had a great turnout last year and hope that you will all consider entering again. Official dates and deadlines are as follows:

Deadline for Submission: Friday, April 24th 2009 (by closing time @ 2am)
Official Announcement Party: Tuesday, April 28th, 2009 (time tba)

All entries must include the following words: pint, pen, Bukowski, and Harpoon. Must have a word count between 500 and 750 words and must be typed and must include an Official Entry Form available at both Bukowski Locations (50 Dalton St. Boston, and 1281 Cambridge St. Cambridge).

Thank you in advance for your participation and Good Luck!
Any questions can be forwarded to epcerrato@gmail.com

No comments: